2020 INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
The Acadiana Cane Cutters are currently seeking enthusiastic internship candidates for the 2019 season. The Cane Cutters are a member of the Texas Collegiate League, a summer college wood-bat baseball league with teams in Texas and Louisiana. In 2019, the team will play a 48 game schedule from late May through early August (excluding playoffs), with 24 home games (excluding playoffs) at Fabacher Field. The Cane Cutters employ a small full-time and game day staff led by the general manager and asst. general manager, as well as the team owners. Interns will perform integral duties over the course of the season, assisting in all areas of operation.
The Cane Cutters are looking for current undergraduates in Sport Management, Communications (Journalism, Public Relations, etc.), Accounting and Finance, Hospitality or related fields, who are serious about a career in professional or amateur team sports. If you are a successful candidate, you will get the opportunity to gain practical experience in multiple areas of team operations, including sales, marketing, promotions, hospitality, stadium operations, ticketing, merchandising, media and public relations, and management. You will be working directly with the full-time staff each day. What does this mean to a potential intern? It means that Cane Cutters management understands what skills and experience are needed to succeed in this business. You will be challenged with a variety of responsibilities designed not only to ensure the success of the Cane Cutters in 2020 but also to impress hiring officials with teams, leagues, and organizations in the future. It also assures you, upon successful completion of your internship, with experienced mentors who can assist you with the advancement of your career.
This will not be your typical internship. The Cane Cutters organization is committed to making our interns an integral part of our operation. Considering our small staff, you will be relied upon to provide insight regarding many aspects of the operation. Your opinion will be solicited and your ideas will be welcomed. You will oversee a special area of responsibility that will permit you some autonomy in its operation, with guidance and support from the Owner and General Manager and will assist in group-oriented projects with your fellow interns. As an intern with the Cane Cutters, you will have to work hard for a significant amount of hours during the summer, with your only compensation being school credit, as our internships are unpaid. If money and free time are high priorities for you, it would be advisable that you consider pursuing a different career path. Due to the importance of your role to the team, you will be expected to commit full-time throughout the 2020 season. Realistically, this type of internship is not for everyone, only those select individuals who are committed to career success in Sport Management, Communications (Journalism, Public Relations, etc.), Hospitality or related fields. Please note, however, that you will not be asked to do anything that is not similarly expected of all members of the management team.
During the time you are an intern with the Acadiana Cane Cutters, you will experience first-hand all aspects of the operation of a baseball team. The practices of our organization closely resemble those of all minor league teams, and, on a smaller scale, most sports organizations. The skills you will acquire will be easily transferable to any sports field in which you desire to work. At the end of your experience, you may feel that you worked harder in those few months than at any other time in your life.
However, you will be rewarded with significant practical experience, the satisfaction of a successfully completed season and new friendships among your fellow staff members, ballpark employees, and fans that will stay with you and be very beneficial to your future success.
SUMMER JOB INTERN DUTIES
General Intern Responsibilities
All Interns will assist in the following areas:
- Promotional Nights: You will assist with creation and implementation of promotional events at selected home games (Remember: all ideas are welcomed)
- Game Operations: You will assist in set up of operations for Fabacher Field each game night.
- Community Marketing: You will assist in grassroots marketing of the Cane Cutters throughout the community, including: delivering pocket schedules and ticket information to area businesses, accompanying staff to little league parks with the mascot to market kids group packages, assisting with displays and information distribution at area events, supporting speaking engagements, and yes, even sometimes performing as the team’s mascot.
- Administration Assistance: Yes, you will have to answer the phones, make copies, stuff programs with inserts, send out mailers, etc. However, with a small front office, we all have to do it, too.
- Other Operations: We have a philosophy that no one, from the General Manager down to the batboys, is ever allowed to say, “That’s not my job.” There will be a variety of projects and tasks that will surface, and we will all have to pitch in and get them done.
- Group Ticket Sales: The Cane Cutters offer various group packages including birthday parties, and field-of-dreams little league promotions, etc., and you will assist with the operation of this program. This sales experience will provide you with an important advantage over other full-time job seekers in the future.
INDIVIDUAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The following are the specific job duties and positions that are available as internships with the Acadiana Cane Cutters for the 2020 Summer Season:
All interested applicants please submit your resume and cover letter to:
Call 337-451-6582 for more information